Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Random Musings (1/9)

American Velodrome Challenge returns to Hellyer Park Velodrome at San Jose during the June 20 - 21, 2008 weekend.


American Velodrome Challenge

The picture on the right shows how tough it was. In this keirin heat, we had Giovanni Rey who is a very strong local keirin rider, Adam Duvendeck (Elite Keirin Champion), Matt Barlee (Canadian Champion), and Stephen Hill (Elite Kilo Champion).

In a star-studded field the National Racing Calendar (NRC) points leader Ben Jacques-Maynes (Team Priority Health) had one goal of the weekend and it was to win the John Peckham Memorial Race. During the race, Ben Jacques-Maynes had John Peckham, who was killed by a drunk driver only a year ago, on his mind. Jacques-Maynes accomplished his goal, finishing with 40 points, while Kenny Williams (Cody Racing) took second place and Matthew Johnson (5 Star Finish) finished third.

I expect this year's AVC to be much bigger, and faster. We'll also be including the Beat the Clock Time Trial Series the next day to raise funds for Lance Armstrong Foundation with. Patt Baenen-Tapscott will be the promoter for that event.



Training:

Cold is finally going away. Still stuck with trainer workouts. Velodrome is still closed to the wetness. Am hoping to get over there at least 3 times before I head down to Los Angeles for the World Cup races.

Got my 48 (Sugino Zen) and will ride it to make it a 81 inches gear. I'm thinking - going smaller I will definitely see new PB's with watts but I will also see higher cadence as well. However, my goal is to stay up close to 150 rpm and STAY there as long as I can.

Looks like I may have found a training partner - Jesse Wilson. He's moving into town mid Jan and we'll go from there....crossing fingers.

Misc

ASL Bridge - ASL Bridge provides sign language interpreting services for the deaf and hard of hearing communities. Its innovative and simple request process, streamlined pricing, and attention to quality bridges the gap between the general public and the sign language-using communities. www.aslbridge.com A friend of mine, Sam Hawk and I are the co-founders of this company and we'll focus on Bay Area first.

What's next?
Inspirational figure - Patt Baenen-Tapscott interview coming up. She's the promoter of the Beat the Clock Series.

Adam Duvendeck - one of the nicest guys I've ever met and Momentum Cycling Team (Josiah Ng, Travis Smith and Jennie Reed).

Video clips of workouts I usually do.

How to follow the LA World Cup weekend with live coverage.

Stephen Hill-isms. You don't want to miss this one.

No comments: