
Random Musings (1/3)
- Track Camp with Steve Hill - 6 spots filled up. 4 to go. Amazing. Steve's going to have every camper read "Gates of Fire". I will say this: you will leave this camp ready to create hell after reading the book and listening to Steve Hill.
- "...Burning desire on daily basis to achieve your goal..."
This is so true. If you are very committed to your goal, everything should revolve around that goal and everything else should become "secondary" except for your spouse and work.
By making everything else secondary, you may be less emotionally attached to them as well and making it easier to deal with on daily basis.
- Solvang Camp with Hunter - 8 campers. 12 spots to go. This one is going to be tons of fun. Last year we had gorgeous snow capped mountains around Solvang and yet it was still warm enough to cycle.

- How do I keep myself motivated about the program on daily/weekly basis?
This can be a little tough but one of the reasons why I like short and intense efforts is the ability to measure them. For instance, squats - I can measure them on 2.5 or 5 lbs improvement on weekly basis. Eventually I will hit a plateau though.
At the track, I can measure my improvement in couple of areas:
1. Watts
2. Cadence
3. Stopwatch/Timer for (kilos, 1.5 laps, 1 lap, half lap, 200's and 100's). I'd record them as much as I can. I'd also use it for standing starts (1/2 lap and 3/4 laps then maybe full lap).
Focusing on little and mini goals on weekly basis and see gradual improvement keeps me focused and motivated in working towards the bigger goal.
Training program
- Am sick right now. Am hitting the trainer instead of the road workouts. Bay Area is going to get slammed with 3 straight storms over the weekend and I have zero interest in going outside and shiver while having sore throat/colds. It's counter productive. However, getting on the trainer - you can get all sweaty. Plus you get to do the track intervals with minimal amount of recovery time in between. That's nice.
- Looking for a training partner right now. Having a training partner allows me to do couple of things:
1. Push myself up in the gym while being reminded of my technique, etc. I have a friend who I can do that with at the gym.
2. Open up the velodrome together. Hellyer doesn't permit me to train there by myself - safety reasons.... Hell, I have a better chance of getting hurt on the road rather than at the velodrome. But...
Also, We'd push each other to be faster. Sometimes it's better to chase someone than doing it by myself.
Anybody?
Statistics....
- 1410 watts (max power) 1338 (5 seconds peak) - Trying to push it up to my road watts level (1611/1515)
- Average 5 seconds cadence: 140 for 5 seconds with a 49x16. Trying to push it up to 145 then to 150 within few months.
Story of the day....
- You definitely know it's just right after New Year's day when you show up at the gym and it's nearly full.
There's a skinny guy on the bench press trying to lift 135 lbs and his arms are all wobbly. It's just painful watching him do that. I wanted to run over there and pull the bar up and tell him to take it easy.
I feel sorry for them. They're going to get hurt.
Misc:
- Thresholdpower camps - I'll be adding 2 powertap wheels to our program on rental basis. You can now rent them instead of buying them.

2 comments:
A training partner is also a good source of motivation to show up on time and do the workout even if you don't feel like it.
Mmm, the trainer. I hear it calling my name over the next couple of days too. And Hunter Allen has me lined up to do some nasty intervals over threshold...ouch!
Post a Comment